We were delighted to be unexpectedly approached by a Mr Norman Shillingford who wanted to safeguard two paintings of canal-side buildings at Wordsley junction. Mr Shillingford is a descendant of the Shillingford family who occupied the premises for several years until the mid 1950’s. The paintings are of Junction House and Junction Cottage, two properties which stood at the head of the Stourbridge Arm at Wordsley Junction.
Junction House was originally the residence of the canal manager, and Junction Cottage was the toll keeper’s house and office
Mr Shillingford advises that the small figure by the property on the Junction Cottage painting is his mother. The family operated trip boats from the junction as illustrated in the article pictured below. He also recalled that as a child he once played a game of ice hockey on the well frozen canal – the lock forming one goal and the bridge the other – happy days !
The Junction Cottage artwork was painted by a disabled Wordsley artist named Ronnie Grove in 1979, being copied from the original which was painted in 1938 by a Mr J. Hammond. The Junction House painting was produced by J.F. Hancox in 1986.
The paintings have been placed on the wall of the Boardroom and flank an existing picture of the lock at Wordsley junction.